Monday, July 21, 2008

Aspen Grove Trip















We had an amazing vacation in Utah this last week. We drove to Salt Lake on Thursday the 10th
(Wow, was that a long car ride!) stopping at Hoover Dam and the St. George Temple on the way.



























Friday we took the kids to Temple Square and the Conference Center. They were fascinated by everything but especially the fountains, waterfalls and the garden on the roof of the Conf. Center. We discovered that Laney is terrified of elevators. She had to be held tightly every time. No one got too wet from the fountains and everyone stayed together, which is incredible for our crew. Sam photographed every beautiful thing we saw so we will remember the whole experience in great detail.













Friday afternoon we visited my friend Kim. We had banana splits and the kids got to unwind. They had lots of fun playing air hockey, banging around on a drum set, playing an electronic piano and checking out the pond and fishies. It was great to see her lovely home and visit for a few hours.

We then went back to the hotel. We splurged a bit and got a two-room suite at the Marriott Residence Inn. It had a full kitchen and family room as well as two bedrooms. It was so much more comfortable than cramming us all into a regular room. So Richard and the kids, all but Laney and Susanna, went swimming while I baked a couple of frozen pizzas. It was a great day, but it flew by too quickly.













Saturday we drove down to Provo and visited Richard's grandmother. She is 94 years old. She was so sweet with the kids. It was good for them to see her again, it had been two years since we had
last seen her. It was nice to see Aunt Marilyn and Uncle Randy too. Grandma wasn't feeling her best so we just got a picture in front of her house.

Then we were off to Provo Canyon to settle in for a week at Aspen Grove, a family camp run by BYU. This was our third time to go there. The Elys have made it a tradition to go every other year as a family "reunion", even though we all live with in 20 minutes of each other. It is our kids favorite place in the world, hiding away in the mountains but with church, comfort and lots of activities. The kids divided up into age groups and did all sorts of fun things, while the parents had time to go to institute-type classes, do pottery, painting, hiking or play sports (tennis, basketball, volleyball, racquetball, badminton, miniature golf, shuffle board, swimming, ropes course etc.)
Sam and Richard both did the high ropes course. I was super proud of both of them. It's like walking in the top of the trees.
The kids were in their groups for several hours in the morning and again in the afternoon, they had a blast playing games, swimming, climbing the rock wall,


playing on the playgrounds or in the cowboy town, hiking and doing crafts and such. Richard and I were able then to have fun together as well. It was nice to get a break from cooking since our meals were provided.
















On Wednesday Richard took Josh and Tim and hiked up Mount Timpanogos. They got to Emerald Lake, near the top (The peak has an elevation of 11,749 feet). A round trip of about twelve hours for them. They had a lot of fun seeing a herd of 35 or so mountain goats, a deer, four waterfalls, the lake, several snow fields and lot of wild flowers.














The kids also learned songs in their groups and performed them on stage the last night.

Friday morning we left for home but ended up having to have a cracked radiator replaced in Provo. We made it home late Friday night having only one potty stop and two gas stops. It was a wonderful vacation! Now we are recovering with a post trip vacation at home for a few days.

Richard goes back to work on Tuesday.



13 comments:

  1. Thanks so MUCH for the blog invite! I will be a regular visitor. I love you! If I ever chance to post on my blog (in case you don't already know) we are littlehousebytheway@blogspot.com. Come by and visit! Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you by new blogging buddy. How long have I been working on you???
    Ok, for starters, your stick figure up top needs larger yahoos! :)

    I love all your pictures and am glad you all got to go and have fun. You deserve it!!! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is SO much FUN!!! I hope you will visit ours too.

    It looks like you had a busy but fantastic trip to Utah! You have an AMAZING family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the invite, love it. Love to be apart. Your family is beautiful & quite large. Love it. Come check my blog out. wrightfamilyaz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is sooo good to see your family! I can't believe there are now three girls in the bunch! that is so great. Im glad to see you in this blogging world and I will now be spying on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun times we have as a family. I love being part of such an EXPRESSIVE family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to reading the many adventures of the Alger family! Blogs are fun; unfortunately I spend way more time reading other people's than writing on my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for letting me peek into your delight-Full life! You guys are awesome and Sam's pictures are so great! I will be checking in every so often to see what you are up to...Glad that you had a great family vacation. It looks so fun and beautiful there. And Steph, i have to agree with Jen...much larger yahoos are in order:)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sad we missed you in UT! How in heaven's name did you only have to stop ONCE for a potty break? We need to know your secret. Us? Every five minutes one boy or another is peeing on the side of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the invite. It will be so much fun to see how your family is growing in age and number!!!
    Love Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute blog, thanks for the invite! I can't believe how brave you are. A family vacation with 9 kids. I'm afraid to go to the grocery store with 3. Your the best! Love ya Lori

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you have a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great trip...I have heard wonderful things about Aspen Grove...I m glad you got to go!!!

    ReplyDelete