Monday, May 9, 2011

Reflections

Yesterday was a fabulous Mother's Day! I have the most darling, loving husband who made sure the day went smoothly and happily, and lots of little sweeties to cuddle and love me. I have the most amazing mom that has taught me and teaches me how to be a mommy and to serve and love others. I am so grateful for them all.

As I was sitting in the chapel at church yesterday I was thinking of all that I have in my life to be grateful for, all the comforts and luxuries that much of the world is without. This has weighed heavily on my mind much of my life. I found myself thinking of my Gram. For many years she would send us a card for Christmas that said for our Christmas gift she had purchased something like a cow, a goat and 5 chickens that were given to a needy family somewhere in the world through Heifer International. As a kid I didn't understand what a great gift that was.

Now, as a mother, I think of all the mothers around the world that are struggling to have just necessities for their children. While I LOVE the See's candy bars that our ward gives us each year on Mother's Day, I couldn't help wishing that the ward could donate that money to needy mothers as a gift to the women in our ward. What a heart warming, thought provoking, humbling gift that would be.

I have thought a lot in the last year or so about all the parties and fancy handouts that we have every year at church. Though I love the spirit of love and friendship that is felt through these things, I feel selfish and saddened by the unconscious sense of entitlement we have. It is hard not to think of the difference 50¢ can make buying Atmit to feed those suffering severely from malnutrition and starvation, or hundreds of other ways such a small amount of money can serve. While I love a good party as much as the next person, I just can't help thinking of all that we have and often take for granted.

I want to do more to serve those around me and around the world. I want my children to open their hearts more and reach out to lift others in need. I challenge you all to do the same. What a difference we can make even if we all just do a little!

7 comments:

  1. Stef, you have a big heart and such a wonderful way of expressing yourself. I am so happy that your Mother's Day was wonderful and gratifying...........MINE WAS OVER THE TOP!!!!! Thank you and all your wonderful cuties for being the exceptional individuals that they are in every way....and sharing themselves with Gram and Papa....We love you!!! FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Stephanie! I think I might just mention this idea to our Bishop for next year. If we moms say what we really want, then maybe it will happen! We can be the change we want to see in the world. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You truly do have such a kind heart, Stephanie, and I love the idea for the ward. I think we could all remember to be less selfish. With that being said, I will also say that I think we have to be careful judging others and what they choose to spend their money on . . . I know that is not your intent AT ALL but I have found that the friends I have who are willing to throw parties often use their talents in ways that don't cost a lot of money and they are very generous in their time to do something for others . . . they could have spent the money on something for themselves instead. And we often don't know how truly generous most people are since we don't often let everyone know what we do for others. Thanks for the reminder to constantly re-assess priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO not judging, as you said Megan. I agree that there are many, many generous people doing amazing things for others while being creative with their money.

    These were just my personal feelings of not wanting to take for granted what I have and making sure that I am thinking of the best uses of my time and efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We talked about that very thing in relief society on Sunday. The lesson was on tithing and offerings and we talked about what we spend our budget on.... Last year for rs we bought hummanitarian kits with some of our budget. I think 50 of them. So I agree with your thoughts on how to spend money! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your comments.
    In Relief Society, the focus has been re-established globally on the essentials...so our general leaders have urged us to hone in the purpose of our meetings, so they themselves are not frivolous. With that being said, we still are given funds to carry out those meetings (to the poor in spirit)...and that would include invitations and such to help encourage attendance for each individual's knowledge and benefit. Other organizations are allocated money specifically for their ward members and are given the charge with their calling to spend according to revelation.
    I've always appreciated the fact that in cases such as humanitarian aid, perpetual education fund, and even Bishop's storehouses where money isn't just handed over to individuals or organizations, but more importantly teaches us to serve while helping to fill a specific need or teaches those in poor situations to become self-reliant.
    In my callings, I've seen people who have monetary means do amazing acts of service quietly. In the meantime, I would hear others judging them by commenting on the kind of car they drove or where their last vacation was spent.
    I agree that there are things we all could do to be better about selfishness, but I also know that revelation is given and heeded in ways that are very personal for each one of us.
    On a lighter note...hey, you and I both got 2 candy bars!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you had a fabulous Mother's Day. Thank you for the reminder to be grateful and to be aware of how to spend our means best.

    ReplyDelete