After returning home, my back was no longer improving past the initial couple of days. I was still in a lot of pain and wasn't able to sleep well or move much. I decided it was probably a good idea to get x-rays and see what the damage was. The doctor said I had 3 broken transverse processes. I didn't know what that was.
Spinehealth.com says: Transverse process is a small bony projection off the right and left side of each vertebrae. The two transverse processes of each vertebrae function as the site of attachment for muscles and ligaments of the spine as well as the point of articulation of the ribs.
I had broken 3 of them with my fall down the stairs. The only way for them to heal is to stay still. There is no way to set the bone, so I was told to stay in bed for 7 to 10 weeks for it to heal, sitting and standing only for short times as needed to eat and use the restroom. I was so sad, this was not what I had planned for my summer. I mostly obeyed, with a few exceptions, because I would have been so crushed to not participate in some of the activities we had planned. I tried to listen to my body and not over due it, which of course happened sometimes, I'm a mom! Thankfully, pain medicine makes me sleepy and I slept through many of the lonely hours in bed, while my kids played and did summer activities.
My kids were so thoughtful and created a beautiful mural for my ceiling so I would have something pretty to look at while I lay in bed.
One of the the things I didn't want to miss out on was a make over that my friend Lindsey, from the blog Better After, had planned for my sister Jessi. Here is the 1st of 5 posts about her bedroom/bathroom make over.
It turned out beautifully!
Luckily, with many, many prayers and lots of help, I was back up and doing things in 5 weeks with an ok from the doctor. He was surprised I had healed so well and so quickly.





No comments:
Post a Comment