Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Faces of Christmas

These are mostly self explanatory, and some are pretty funny. Enjoy!

Mmmm... Gingerbread Houses!


Everyone minus Sam loving Daddy.


The Cuz's in their cute jammies!



Baby Nellie's first Christmas Eve at the Ely's


Just being silly.


They can see the presents and are dying to get to them, but nicely pose so mom can get a picture. Torture!



"Won't you PLEASE open it for me? Please?"


Still not quite awake.








I love to catch that moment of shock and utter joy when they open up a gift they didn't think they were going to get, but REALLY wanted. I love giving and even more so love watching my kids enjoy giving. They were all quite generous this year with their sibling gift buying. We tell them we will match what ever $ they are willing to spend to buy for the person they drew for Christmas, it makes $3 or some other small $ amount (but large personal sacrifice) feel more exciting. Their were a couple of the older kids that were willing to spend more of their own $ than I could afford to match, so I had to talk them into being a little less giving. I love that they are dying to have their brother or sister open the gift they bought for them more than they want to open their own gifts. It brings joy to my heart! The greed was minimal and the love tremendous!

A couple of my other favorite Christmas traditions... letting the kids fall asleep listening to the dramatized biblical Christmas story on CD in their bedroom. We did this as kids growing up. We always called it "You have deft hands carpenter", the first line of the story. It really brings the focus back to the Savior. We also love to listen to "The Forgotten Carols" on CD, the story not just the music, as we drive to see the temple lights. It also brings a sweet spirit to the season. I love Christmas! I love my family! And I love my Savior!

3 comments:

  1. You captured some great moments! We did the pose on the stairs too. So fun to make them wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the pictures! I enjoyed reading about your traditions of keeping Christ at the center of your Christmas. You continue to be such an inspiration to me.

    Reading your blog always brings a smile to my face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard's face upon opening the ipod touch is priceless. I don't think he wanted it...AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete