Monday, March 8, 2010

A visit to the new skate park

Richard took the kids to the skate park on Saturday while I replanted the garden. They were super excited to take their bikes and roller blades and try out the ramps.

Things were going great until Josh took a bad fall off one of the ramps. He doesn't remember anything from just before the fall until about 25 minutes later. Apparently, he blacked out when he hit the ground and then was talking and seemed alert with in a minute. He then asked Richard what happened, Richard explained it and Josh said, "I don't want to ever do that again." Then a few minutes later he asked Richard what happened. Richard told him again and Josh said, "I don't want to ever do that again." Over the next 2o minutes or so Josh ask Rich again 6 more times what happened and asked Sam 3 times. He didn't remember them asking previously or being answered. After a walk to the car and then over to the playground, Josh "woke up" and began to form memories again. Richard called me and told me Josh had had an accident but that he seemed to be ok.

When they got home and I heard all the details and realized that my boy had amnesia as well as a HUGE fat lip and lots of scrapes and bruises on his face, arms and legs, I was quite concerned. He had taken a hard blow to the same side of his head while sledding a little over a month ago, and I was worried about a repeated concussion. Now, after examinations and a blessing and some rest, I am still concerned that he be careful with his poor brain and body, but I feel sure that he will be fine.

He does have a
concussion and amnesia but is recovering. He might regain the memories from before he hit the cement, but the memories from the 25 minutes after were most likely never stored in his memory correctly so they are not retrievable. The treatment is to rest his brain from physical activities for a few weeks to allow it to heal. To his dismay that doesn't mean that he has to rest it from school and homework, but no wrestling or jumping on the trampoline etc. Poor kid!

The rest of the kids had a great time.






2 comments:

  1. Skate Parks are SOOO fun. Sorry about Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, the other kids should have done all the things they've ever wanted to do to Josh in that 25min window and he'd never have remembered it. Oh-well, opportunity missed. Glad he's okay!

    ReplyDelete