
Sunday evening I took Sam, Josh and Tim to see The Price of Freedom. It was a free performance paying tribute to the amazing patriots of WWII. The city of Gilbert celebrated Constitution Week last week. This was their closing evening. It was outstanding! My boys were riveted and touched by the heroes of that era. It was a great way to help instill gratitude for those who are brave enough to protect our beautiful country and all the freedoms that come with it. One young man, for his Eagle project, made displays for each of the Arizona soldiers who have died serving our country since 2002. He updates it every year. I was surprised by how many there were. The displays had their names and some of their goals and dreams and then also how and when they died. Let's just say not many people left with dry eyes, and some of us had red noses and a handful of tissues to throw away.
The performers were all incredible. Many of them were moved to tears as well. The composer Rob Gardner, some where around 30 years old, is a musical genius. To be able to hear the orchestration, each instrument's part, and then put it together with the rest blows my mind. He is so fun to watch as he directs. He has such passion and feeling as he does it.
My family talked to Rob Gardner and Tyler and Linsey Maxson (the Maxson's have lead parts) after the show. We asked them how we could get them to bring the show to the West Valley. We are working on it. We need the funds for the orchestra, but the performers will come for love of the show. We also need a place to hold the performance, this last one was at Glibert High School. Any ideas or any one interested in helping to bring more great LDS performances to this side of town let me know.
Rob Gardner is also the writer/composer of Joseph Smith the Prophet, Saints and Pioneers, He is Jesus Christ, The Missionary Hymn Project, Blackbeard the Musical (get tickets for this weekend at the Herberger Theater downtown also starring the Maxsons) and Twelve Princesses. Richard and I saw Blackbeard opening night and loved it. I am taking our four oldest to see it Friday night. I am happy to help get the word out about this amazing young composer.
"The Price of Freedom" was incredible. I think I had tears within the first ten minutes. It was a performance that I will always remember. Thanks for taking me with you! Our stake is currently preparing to perform Rob Gardner's "Saints and Pioneers." I am excited.
ReplyDeleteI would love to see this. Okay, you have to post about awesome things BEFORE they're over so I know about them :)
ReplyDelete