Kim and John are always crazy busy, so we were thrilled that they could squeeze in a day trip to Phoenix. It was 12 hours of fun. My dad and I picked them up at the airport at 9 am. John took off with my dad to do his thing, speaking at 3 different events throughout the day and Kim and I were off to the Deseret Book Store to surprise Nan.
It was fun to walk into the back room of the store and surprise Nan. We visited for a while and checked out all the new books. Nan is such a sweetie so it was great to bring some fun into her work day.
Then we went to watch some serious soccer. Jessi's little Gwen and Ben's little Ryan played on the tiniest soccer field I have ever seen. They did great! It was fun to sit and visit in the cool weather and warm sun.
We dropped Jessi's girls off at my house and got a bite to eat at Chick-fil-a. Then went shopping at the most amazing accessories shop. Almost everything is a dollar! Rings, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, headbands, pins, hair flowers, sequined fans, and more and more. It is like a candy store of pretty jewelry for super cheap! (it's part of an alterations store next to Sally's Beauty Supply on 99th Ave and Lower Buckeye Rd.) We bought lots of fun things.
Then we picked up John from his 2nd speaking gig and were on our way to gig #3, our Surprise Stake Youth Conference.
It was awesome. John really has a gift for teaching the gospel in way
that kids can understand and be excited about living. I can't tell you
how many kids told me that the reason that they love to hear him speak
was that they feel like he is their friend, not a just teacher, and that
he really cares about them as individuals. It truly was great and
inspiring.
Tim and Josh were there too, somewhere in the crowd. I guess I didn't get any pictures of them.
We ran home quickly so the rest of the kids could say hi and hug John and Kim before they left. Then we took them to our favorite Thai restaurant. It was great to have a little time to just chat and relax with some good food. Sadly, the night came to end all too quickly and we had to return them to the airport.
(I couldn't get my flash to turn on. Bummer.)
John, thanks for spending the day serving so many young people. They will never forget it. And Kim, thanks for being my buddy. I love you! You are both dear friends and tons of fun and we can't wait to do it again!
I really was great!
ReplyDeleteHow fun for you! Miss you guys! It's just not the same without Algers next door! :)
ReplyDelete